MUZA – Courtyard

Home to Malta’s national art collection, MUZA, the Malta National Community Art Museum, occupies the former Auberge d’ Italie, the historic seat of the Italian Knights of the Order of St John.
Originally designed by Girolamo Cassar in the 16th century, the Auberge is a fine essay in the Baroque idiom. Located on Merchants Street in Valletta, with both indoor and outdoor spaces, MUZA marries cutting-edge contemporary architecture seamlessly to its 500-year-old setting. Wheelchair accessible the venue features its own exclusive catering facilities and flagship restaurant with a selection of bespoke menus branded and inspired by artwork spanning the 16th to the 21st century.

COURTYARD

Lying at the heart of the Auberge, the extensive courtyard provides an exclusive outdoor context and a grand first impression for arriving guests. The stately square is dominated by a central well, accentuated by a triumphal arch which is crowned by a statuette of St Catherine of Alexandria, the patron saint of the Italian Knights, and the coat-of-arms of Grand Master Gregorio Carafa (1680-1690).

Download Brochure

Standing200Seated100