Fort St Elmo – Piazza D’Armi

Fort St. Elmo occupies a strategic position at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula. During the Medieval period, this key position was already recognised and exploited. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottaman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. A star-shaped fort was constructed in circa 6 months, by military engineer Pietro Pardo, under the supervision of Knight Fra Leone Strozzi. By 1565 the fort had acquired a cavalier, a covertway, a terraille, and a ravelin which was hastily built only a few months before the Great Siege of 1565. Fort St. Elmo also played an important role during World War II.

Piazza D’Armi
The magnificent parade grounds opposite the Chapel of St. Anne are surrounded by buildings which served as barracks during the British period, providing the grandiose backdrop to all sorts of events. Encircled literally by history, your event is guaranteed to be one to remember.

Wheelchair Accessible

Facilities – Electricity / Generator stand by / Storage area for caterers and catering services / Toilets / 2 Possible Entrances

Restrictions – Sound to be lowered after 11pm / Space to set up a Kitchen / No Confetti

Parking Space – Street Parking or inside facility at an extra cost

St Anne’s Chapel
First documented in 1488 and predating the construction of the fort itself, the chapel was embellished in the mid-17th century during the magistracy of Giovanni Paolo Lascaris. A 15th-century Madonna and Child icon, brought to Malta by the Hospitallers from Rhodes aboard the carrack St Anne, used to be located within the chapel. It is now on display at the Malta Maritime Museum for conservation reasons. During the Great Siege of Malta, the chapel was the dramatic scene for the last stand made by the fort’s defenders before it fell to the Ottoman invaders. With its barrel vault and coffered ceiling, St Anne’s chapel makes for a timeless Renaissance setting for any religious or matrimonial event.

Download Brochure

Standing2000Seated800